Making pizza from scratch with your kids can be a fun and educational activity that they will love. Not only is it a great way to spend quality time together, but it also teaches kids about following instructions, measuring ingredients, and the importance of cooking healthy meals. Plus, what kid doesn't love pizza? In this blog post, we'll go through all the steps you need to know to make pizza from scratch with your kids. From making the dough to choosing toppings, we've got you covered. So, tie on your aprons and get ready to create some delicious homemade pizza!
Step 1: Make the Dough
Making pizza dough from scratch might sound intimidating, but it’s actually quite simple. Here's what you'll need:
2 cups of flour (plus extra for dusting)
1 envelope of active dry yeast
1 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of warm water
1 tablespoon of olive oil
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, yeast and salt.
- Add the warm water and olive oil, then mix until a dough forms.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 10 minutes.
- After kneading, put the dough in a bowl, cover it with a towel and let it rest for 30 minutes.
Step 2: Flatten the Dough
After 30 minutes, it's time to flatten the dough into the shape of a pizza. Here's what you'll need:
- Rolling pin
- Flour (for dusting)
- Place the dough on a floured surface.
- Use a rolling pin to flatten the dough to your desired thickness.
- Dust flour on the surface of the dough to prevent sticking.
- If you don't have a rolling pin, try using the bottom of a cake pan or a wine bottle as an alternative.
Step 3: Choose your Sauce and Toppings
Pizza sauce and toppings are where you and your kids can get creative. Here's what you'll need:
- Pizza sauce (either store-bought or homemade)
- Toppings of your choice (e.g., cheese, vegetables, meats)
- Spread the pizza sauce on your dough.
- Add your desired toppings, making sure to spread them evenly around the pizza.
- If you're using raw vegetables like onions or peppers, cook them beforehand for best results.
- Don't overload the pizza with toppings; a good rule of thumb is to stick to a maximum of three or four toppings.
Step 4: Bake the Pizza
Now, it's time to bake your pizza to perfection. Here's what you'll need:
- Baking sheet
- Preheat your oven to 450°F (232°C).
- Transfer the pizza to a baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven on the middle rack.
- Bake your pizza for around 15-20 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted to your liking.
- Once done, remove the pizza from the oven, let it cool for a few minutes, and then enjoy!
Making pizza from scratch with your kids is a fun and educational activity that they will love. The best part is, you can customize the pizza to your liking, making it a healthier alternative to store-bought pizza. Follow these simple steps, and you'll have a delicious homemade pizza that you and your kids will be proud of. Not only will you make happy memories with your kids, but you'll also teach them valuable skills that will benefit them in the future. So, tie on your aprons and get ready to create some delicious homemade pizza!