The holiday season is a time for joy, celebration, and of course, delicious food. When it comes to holiday recipes, many people think of sweet treats and desserts. However, it's also a great opportunity to involve kids in the kitchen and teach them how to make savory dishes that are quick, easy, and require only a few ingredients. In this blog post, we'll explore five savory holiday recipes that kids can make with just five ingredients or less.
Cheesy garlic breadsticks
There's nothing quite like fresh, warm breadsticks straight from the oven. This easy recipe will have kids feeling proud of their culinary accomplishment.
Store-bought pizza dough
- Preheat the oven according to the pizza dough instructions.
- Roll out the pizza dough onto a floured surface.
- Cut the dough into strips and twist them, creating breadstick shapes.
- Melt the butter and mix in garlic powder.
- Brush the garlic butter mixture onto the dough strips.
- Sprinkle on mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Place the breadsticks onto a baking sheet and bake according to the pizza dough instructions.
- Serve warm and enjoy the cheesy goodness.
Mini cheese and turkey quiches
Quiches are a versatile and delicious savory dish, and these mini versions are perfect for holiday gatherings.
Pre-made mini tart shells
- Preheat the oven according to the tart shell instructions.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs and milk together.
- Fill each tart shell with a small amount of grated cheese and turkey.
- Pour the egg and milk mixture into each tart shell, just enough to cover the cheese and ham.
- Bake the quiches in the oven according to the tart shell instructions, or until the filling is set and slightly golden.
- Let them cool before serving as an appetizer or part of a meal.
Pesto pasta with cherry tomatoes
This flavorful pasta dish is simple to make and bursting with fresh flavors. Kids will enjoy making the pesto and tossing it with the pasta.
Pasta (your choice of shape)
Pesto sauce (store-bought or homemade)
Cherry tomatoes (halved)
Parmesan cheese (grated)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions, then drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the cooked pasta with pesto sauce until well coated.
- Add the halved cherry tomatoes and stir gently.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle grated parmesan cheese over the pasta.
- Serve warm and enjoy this simple yet delicious dish.
Turkey and cheese roll-ups
Leftover turkey from the holiday feast can be turned into a tasty and simple appetizer or snack with just a few ingredients.
Sliced turkey (leftover from holiday dinner or store-bought)
Sliced cheese (cheddar, swiss, or your preference)
Mayo or mustard (optional)
- Lay out a slice of turkey and place a slice of cheese on top.
- Optional: Spread a layer of mayo or mustard on the cheese.
- Add a lettuce leaf on top.
- Roll up the turkey and cheese tightly.
- Secure the roll-up with a toothpick.
- Repeat the process with the remaining turkey slices.
- Arrange the turkey and cheese roll-ups on a platter and serve as a snack or appetizer.
Tomato and mozzarella skewers
These colorful and flavorful skewers are a perfect addition to any holiday party or gathering. Kids will have fun assembling them and the bright colors will make them look festive.
Fresh mozzarella balls (pre-packaged or homemade)
Fresh basil leaves
- Rinse the cherry tomatoes and thread them onto skewers.
- Add a mozzarella ball to the skewer, followed by a fresh basil leaf.
- Repeat the process until the skewer is filled
- Drizzle olive oil over the skewers.
Getting kids involved in the kitchen during the holiday season is a wonderful way to teach them valuable cooking skills and create lasting memories. These five savory holiday recipes are not only easy to make but require only five ingredients or less. From cheesy garlic breadsticks to tomato and mozzarella skewers, these recipes are sure to be a hit with the whole family. So, invite your little ones into the kitchen this holiday season and let their creativity shine as they whip up these delicious savory dishes. Enjoy the festive flavors and happy cooking!